First grade is an exciting time in the life of young children as they begin to make great strides in social and academic areas. First grade children have a growing sense of independence in both of these areas with considerable variation in development among children. Evergreen teachers work closely with each child to help him/her reach individual and classroom goals.
Here are a few reasons why Evergreen is special:
- Learning is hands-on and social.
- Creativity is part of our daily academic lives.
- We plant and care for apple trees in Beattie’s outdoor classroom.
- We learn about the needs of plants, and everyone get to grow seeds.
- Projects teach us about being effective members of a team.
- We pursue academic interests as a whole class, in small groups, and on an individual basis.
- Our open environment is inviting.
- Our work is appropriately challenging.
- We are developing our problem solving skills in both academic and social areas.
- We are becoming independent, fluent readers and writers!
- Guest speakers motivate us to learn.
- Spellbinder storytellers engage us in their stories.
- Field trips let us explore the world outside our classrooms.
- Technology keeps us engaged and excited about learning.
- We explore mathematical concepts using manipulatives.
- We reflect on our strengths and struggles and set goals to help us grow as students.
- We learn about empathy and practice showing respect and kindness to every person in our Evergreen family.
- The boundaries between work and play fade away!
By the end of the school year, Evergreen students have pursued a wide range of activities and are more confident in their abilities as thinkers and learners.